Tuesday, November 11, 2008

PCI Compliance Update on our DVD Kiosk Machine

As many of you know, this PCI compliance thing has been on the back burner and hadn't yet materialized "until now".. We got our bill(FOR THE YEAR) this month for $139.75. I, of course think it's a ridiculous fee that the merchant accounts are dropping on us. I called Roy and e-mailed him about it and he sent me some return information. I called First Data and told them that I wasn't too happy about the charge. A gal by the name of "Lisa H." was the person I talked to. She understood my concern and told me that if I could prove that we are PCI compliant with a "PCI compliant Certificate", she would wave my fees. I have contacted the folks at DVDNow to see about such a certificate. Hopefully, we can get out of this fee. I'll keep you all posted on it. Here is the letter I received from Roy Neese at First Data. He is also trying to get to the bottom of it with me. Hopefully, we can get something done for "all of us"..

Mike,

There was a notice sent last month about a $149.75 fee being added to all customer accounts. The card companies are requiring all merchant to certify they are PCI compliant (Payment Card Industry) in order to be protected against fines. The notice indicated that First Data has hired a company to help merchant become certified. First Data’s yearly fee is primarily to pay for PCI Security compliance as required by Visa/MasterCard. Each merchant has the responsibility to be Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant. On your behalf, First Data has hired a third party vendor to perform this service at a discounted rate. PCI compliance is a very serious issue and cannot be overemphasized. For more information regarding PCI compliance and electronic data storage please visit www.visa.com/cisp, www.mastercard.com/sdp and www.pcisecuritystandards.org. As a Merchant you are responsible for certification of PCI compliance and may be subject to fines for not providing proof of compliance. From what I understand you can contact Customer Service and choose option 6 then 4 to discuss what your options are with this yearly fee.

If you choose to contact Customer Service 1877 273 8191, please let me know what they tell you.

Roy B. Neese
Account Executive



Sincerely,

Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, its Diane. I just got off the phone with Mike Decker at Security Metrics and had to pay $199.99 for two kiosks/year. Is there any chance we are going to be able to get out of paying this or is this just another cost of doing business? Thanks as always.

Anonymous said...

PCI Compliance Update on our DVD Kiosk Machine

Anonymous said...

Was the PCI compliance issue resolved? If so, how?

Unknown said...

Was the PCI compliance issue resolved? If so, how?