Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Getting Started in the Business Questions

Since there have been a few "getting started in the business" questions, I guess it's time to add a section just for that. In the DVDKiosk business, there are several things that we all want to know before we get into this business. One thing that is going to be impossible to answer is "How much money do you make in this business". Please remember, that I can tell you that I personally make more money than I put into the machines and overall costs. It varies from month to month though. I can't just give you a figure. Remember, takes effort on your end to determine how much you are going to make. There's nobody out there that can give you an exact dollar amount. Also, remember, DVDNow can't give you a dollar amount either. It's actually not legal for them to give you that information. I wouldn't want someone digging into my kiosks giving out information to others either. With that being said, here is the latest e-mail.

Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

Blogger lbaker2 said...

Hi Mike, Michelle and to all those of the "brotherhood" of the DVD rental business - my name is Laurie. I am located in a small town on the outskirts of Boise, Idaho. (population - approx 15k) Have been doing extensive research, crunching numbers, and spending endless hours during the middle of the night contemplating if the DVD Kiosk rental business is a good fit for me without totally exhausting my children's college fund :) I am close to taking that big "leap" but have a few questions if anyone could help give me a better insight -
1) Return on Investment - could anyone give me an approximation of how long it took before they actually started seeing a profit?
1 yr - 18 months - 2 yrs ?

2)On an "average" -how many movies are rented out a night? (30? 40? 50) as I have no clue what to expect - we have only one grocer in town (Pauls IGA) and one video store (Movie Gallery) --currently no competition with another DVD Kiosk Business model - Pauls probably sees a minimum of 300 customers a day.

3)Are there possibly any hidden fees that I have not accounted for? (accounted for Distributor Cost, cases, tags, liablity insurance, Merchant Account fee, Web service fee, and 10% percent of walk up revenue to grocer. (what about State Business Licensing) - any State or Federal registrations required -any annual fees anyone can think of?

Thank you so much for your time in helping answer a few of the many, many questions that I think of throughout the day. Look forward to future blogging with everyone on site.
Laurie B

October 21, 2008 11:29 PM

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone have recommendations for rental pricing? DVDNow's default is $2.49 first night, $1.99 each additional. Being in southern California and so close to so many movie rental stores, I decided to put them at $1.99/$1.49.

We haven't been doing very good on rental numbers, even though we are in a couple good locations... anyone think going lower would help that? Right now we are only making barely enough to pay for the new rentals each week.

Maybe price isn't the problem... maybe I am overlooking something... Let me know.

392600 said...

We own 15 machines in Chicago located in apartments and 7-11's. We charge 1.49 Mon, Tues Wed and 2.49 on the weekend with a fixed rate at several machines of 3.49 for 48 hours. You need your average transaction to be or more.

David@rentdvdshere.com said...

We have two new machines and have had fair success in the first two weeks. Besides sending out fliers and offering coupons (via a gift certificate or someone who registers on our web site) does anyone have some better or more robust ideas for initial marketing of the new dvd kiosk business? I am located in a supermarket and a residential building with 300 apartments.

Anonymous said...

I am about to open my first location of my DVD Kiosk sometime next month. What are some good “Grand Opening ideas”?

For example, I plan to rent a popcorn making machine and give away free popcorn. Also I will give free rentals to customers who fill out a card with their contact information.

Does anyone else have and promotional ideas like this?

Reel Fresh Movies said...

During this time of year, and once your machines are established for a few months in a good location, is it realistic to expect 30 or so rentals per day averaged over a week. Is this number high/low?
I am running some projections and would also like to get comments on how much this number will drop through the summer months in the snowier climates.

Anonymous said...

Mike

I am wondering if anyone can post a checklist of start up items that they completed before they placed a machine? Things like:

1. created tax id
2. created tax structure
3. came up with business name
4. obtained merchant account
5. opened business checking account

Thanks
Sean

Kim w/ Express DVD Rentals said...

I am looking for information regarding the RFID tags. I am currently paying VPD to put them on for me but I see on the blog that some people are buying them and doing it themselves. I was under the impression that it would be like a barcode or something that the machine reads and I guess not. Can someone please explain this process to me? How does the machine know what movie and what slot it came from? Just a little confused. I got my first shipment of movies today from VPD.

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Hi Kim,
Look under "FOR SALE" STUFF WE NEED
There is a link that you can use that will get you another 10% off. I do them myself and have the store hosts do them too. e-mail me at my regular e-mail address located at http://readydvd.com I don't want to post it here. It's quite simple.

Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

THEROMESGROUP said...

Hello Mike,

I'm going to be getting into this DVD Kiosk Business. I think it has great potential, but Why not let customer's have an option of something like a DVD Subcription Program along with Renting and Buying DVD'S...We could charge $12.95 or more per month and the customers can rent all of the DVD'S they want. It would be better than waiting to see if your DVD'S come in the mail...

Ray

Gary said...

I have a question regarding selling your business. Has anyone ever sold their kiosks to someone else where that person buys the business and takes over where the kiosks are currently located? If so can you offer any advise as to what all this entails.

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Yes, all you need to do is let DVDNow know. Mark Rudolph can help you with this.

Mike

Nicole said...

I have a question regarding how much DVD competition from Redbox or Blockbuster kiosks anyone is experiencing. Here there are Redboxes popping up it seems outside of every major grocery store. Has this hurt anyone's business strongly?

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

It did for a little while until all the Redbox folks let the novelty run off. Go into the Private blog, or go to http://readydvdblog.com and see all the comments regarding this question.

Mike Weiland