Friday, October 17, 2008

YOUR PAY and How to Ban a Problem customer

If you run into any problems with certain customers that try to mess with the system of renting, it's very easy to ban them. Your machine is capable of keeping those problem folks from runing your rental business. I recently received a question regarding this (Thanks Deion). I think this will help all of you that use "yourpay"as your gateway.

Here's how to ban the "problematic customer"
As some of you know, my wife Michelle does most of this stuff for me. She's the brains behind the operation...

Hi Deion,
I will try and write how to list a card as fraudulent in Your Pay. I’m going be mostly memory here, but I will try and get it as close as possible to the real thing:

1) After logging into Your Pay, go to ADMIN on the top menu bar
2) Under Fraud Settings choose ADD/Change Credit Card Number to Block
3) It will bring up a screen : Fraud: Block Credit Card
4) Here you will input the entire credit card number, click the Add Arrows, and then it will drop into box on the right.
5) Then hit “Next”. That will take you to Fraud: Block Name
6) Enter the card holder’s name and “click” it over. I usually enter the name the way it appears in our kiosk software. I also enter it other ways, i.e. if it is listed as Weiland Mike, I will enter it as ‘Weiland Mike’ and also as ‘Mike Weiland’. I don’t know why some people’s names are last/first and some are first/last, so I enter it both ways. ALSO: If the name shows up as ‘Mike A Weiland’, I will enter it in Fraud as ‘Mike A Weiland’ and also as ‘Mike Weiland’. I think there is a help screen you can access for additional pointers. If you do the name, you can hopefully stop the guy from renting if he uses a card different than the one(s) you have already seen.

If you don’t know how to get the entire credit card number (our Connections software doesn’t show the entire number), you will need to find the Order Number of the transaction (either in Your Pay or Connections will have it if the sale is declined) and copy/paste it into YourPay’s “Ticket Only” option that is under POS. We won’t do anything with it here, but if you paste the Order Number there and hit Retrieve Order (or Next, I don’t remember what is says exactly), YourPay will retrieve the order and the entire card number will show there. That is where you can copy the card number and paste it into the Block Card Number when you go back into Fraud Settings.

Give it a try and feel free to email me if you encounter any problems.

Michelle

10 comments:

vesmontana said...

Has anyone else got the letter from First Data about PCI compliance? I tried to fill out the questionaire but got stuck on some of the questions about the hosting. I could use some help if anyone has already done this. Thanks, Rich

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Hi Rich,
I just asked Michelle about that and she told me that DVDNow informed her that the machines will be compliant. I might fire off another e-mail to DVDNow and see what information I can get. I'll post the response I get.

Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

Unknown said...

The way that I have been Blacklisting clients is to send an email to DVDNow Technical support with the machine number, the transaction id, and the name of the person. The DVDNow tech will then Blacklist the person in the connections software and then the deadbeats are blocked on all kiosks and not just on mine. One word of caution on the blacklisting, once you do this in connections, the software does not allow you to try and collect the outstanding monies. I think this should be corrected to allow us to try and collect and have asked Mark to add this to the development list.

Chuck Newton
DVD Rentals
newton.chuck@gmail.com

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Cheryl,
You are right on two accounts. Keeping the people from renting again on your kiosks is true. Plus not being able to collect anymore is true as well. I will check on the them blocking the customer on my machine though. I don't think your Kiosk and my Kiosk are linked like that. I think that person can still use my machine.


Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

I just checked with Mark at DVDNow, You are right Cheryl.

Yes it is true. The card number is blocked on our payment gateway and would prevent it from being used on any kiosk on our system.

Mark

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Rich,
Here's the answer to your question. Mark Rudolph sent me the answer this afternoon.

The kiosks new software V0.30 was certified as PCI compliant. As V0.21 will be discontinued soon we did not get this software platform certified although it meets all of the required standards.



Mark Rudolph

Joe Fusco said...

Mike
Does my software have to be updated or am I fine
This is my version.
KioskSoft: V0.21 Build 195
Thanks
Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have my first problem with a c/c not being able to charge a renter who has out 2 dvds and a game. today was the 10th day at which time the kiosk tried to charge him and it didn't go thru and says under comments: Hold- Call Center. Anyone know what that means? I could lose $100 worth of product on this guy if I can't get anything on his card. Thanks.

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

This is the reason you want to make sure your preauth is enough. It's always a tough decision to deciding what your preauth should be. If your preauth is high enough, you can capture the amount by opening a ticket. I would suggest your call Your Pay to take the preauth and then ban the user from using your machine again. Michelle and I do it on our own. If you call DVDNow, they can ban the customer for you too. I'd suggest you learn how to do it on your own though.

Michelle explained how to do it in Your Pay above. Since DVDNow recommends that you use 3C's, we probably can't help you with this situation. They might be able to help you with it too.



Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
HTTP://READYDVD.COM

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, after a number of different phone calls today I found out that the c/c that wasn't going thru for the sale of 2 dvd and one game is a stolen card so I am out the entire cost. It doesn't matter that I did pre auth for $11 on each one as I lose with this stolen card. Anyone else had this happen?