Tuesday, November 25, 2008

BLU RAY DVD'S


Since Joe and Rich Petty started a new line of discussion on Blu Ray and Regular DVD's, let's keep it rolling.
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

vesmontana said...

Hey Joe,

Did you try the blu-rays yet?
I am thinking of trying them when Dark Knight comes out. If so what are you charging? I think we all are going to have to put them in eventually but it could increase our sales as well.

Joe Fusco said...

I put Wall-E Blu Ray in and it rented once for 4 nights. I charge $1.00 for DVD and $1.79 for Blu ray. I have it clearly marked next to the slot and across the top. Also have 'Blue Ray" on the case spine. I use a P-touch. It's great, they peel right off the metal of the kiosk when removing.

Careful with the wording. I had "Wall-E available in blu ray $1.79/night". With the Wall-e blu ray rented and not in the kiosk (with "blu ray" shown on the spine) the other Wall-e's were just sitting there. Everyone may have thought they were all blue ray the way it was worded. Now I changed it to "Wall-E in slot 104 is blu ray for $1.79/night". Just have to remember not to move them remotely.

I ordered 2 blu ray for dark night. See how that does.

12 comments:

Joe Fusco said...

If doing blu ray, keep an eye out for coupons in the movies that you open. Narnia has a coupon for $10.00 off blu ray of the same movie.

Joe Fusco said...

I put some more blu rays in. The only thing I don't like so far is that connections don't tell the difference between blu ray and regular dvd. I have 1 Hancock in the machine and it's a blu ray. But according to connections it a plain old dvd. Check it out here ezdvd.mydvdkiosks.com. I also have Live free or die hard, Punisher, Pirates of caribbean, and Open season.

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Interesting! I haven't placed the DVD's in the machine yet. I sent an e-mail off with your comments to the developers. I'll let you know what they have to say when I get a response. I never thought of it, but if someone goes to the website to see what movies you have, it would be nice if they could tell if they were Blu Ray or Regular DVD's. So far, I figure the Blu Ray's would be too much of a hassle. I think it will only be a matter of time before you can only get Blu Ray.

Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

Joe Fusco said...

It is a little bit of a hassle to change slot config in front of the machine to change the price. You can't change an empty slot. I have an iPhone so after I put the blu ray in I change the slot price. Some more lableing has to be done to. I put a warning on an address lable and put on the front of the case, telling them to return in less that 10 min if they don't have a blu ray or PS3.

My Wall-E blu ray is out for the second time.

David@rentdvdshere.com said...

I was wondering if anyone had experiencing purchasing used DVDs? I have purchased some from VPD, but I was interested in knowing if others offered returned items? Also, are there companies that sell RFID tags directly to consumers?

David@rentdvdshere.com said...

I was wondering if anyone had experience purchasing returned or used DVDs through a distributor or retailer other than VPD? I am also wondering if anyone has purchased RFID tags directly from a distributor?

Joe Fusco said...

To update, I have 6 Dark Knights in 1 machine, 4 DVD 2 Blu Ray. All are gone including the 2 Blu Ray. It will be hard to tell in the long run how well the blu rays do, connections still has them as 1 title. I have to go by the slot# they are in. The older blu ray still hasn't moved. Hancock blu ray is also doing well.

vesmontana said...

I put a total of 14 Dark Knights in my kiosks including 2 Blu-Rays and all of them rented the first night.

I am however charging $3.49 first night .99 additional night for the Blu-Rays and $35 if they dont bring them back. I am going to start trying of few more. The price of the movies is starting to come down a little and it might be time to do it. Hell I'm even thinking of buying a player!

Unknown said...

What cases are you using for the BLU-RAY disc? The smaller cases are not compatiable, correct?

vesmontana said...

You have to transfer them to a regular dvd case. I put them in slots that I have reserved just for Blu-Rays and added a sticker to the front of the kiosk. I also put a sticker on the front of the case letting people know that it wont play in a regular DVD player.

Anonymous said...

Since it has been a long time since any discussion on Blu-Rays, I was wondering how it is going for the people that now carry them?? Tracy

Joe Fusco said...

I just about gave up on them. They are expensive and only rented a few times on average. Maybe after the next holiday season more people would get Blu Ray players and i'll try again.