Thursday, February 12, 2009

Moving YourDVD Kiosk

Dave has asked us a question regarding the movement of the Kiosk. Here is his question:

avid@rentdvdshere.com said...

Mike:

I would like to know how others have moved their DVDNOW Kiosk to a new/different location. I am considering moving my Kiosk and I was wondering if this is something I could do on my own, or if would be prudent to hire the technician who initially set up my kiosk?

David

I actually have some experience with this. I have moved three Kiosks in the last two years. Just so you know Dave, it's very simple. There is very little you need to do as they build these machines so you can do just that. Just make sure that the screws that are in your machine are locked in. Make sure that the carriage screws are in, the counter weight screws are in, the grabber screws are locked down and you should be good to go. I take the doors off and lock it up. I also wrap a huge thick blanket around the machine so it doesn't get damaged. I have a dolly that is the same as the ones that you get from Uhaul. They work great. You don't need someone to do this for you. A frined works fine. I have a trailer that is only 18 inches off the ground that I also use to haul my motorcycles that's excellent. The back of a pickup works good though. Just be careful when you drive over bumps. Make sure it's secure and not resting against anything hard. You'll want to watch the vibrations etc..

Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

6 comments:

DVDNow CHicagoland (Tom) said...

Moving was pretty easy with a friend helping. About a week before the move I pulled the network cable. This allowed returns and and no new rentals. The day of the move I rented the smallest Uhaul with a ramp. When I arrived at the host location the first thing I did was plug in the network cable. All outstanding returns where then processed. I powered down the machine. Removed all the movies from the front door ( not in Connections), side panels and topside light. Next I opened the back and secured all the screws on the carriage. I believe they are all colored yellow. This keeps everything from moving in transit. Then I wrapped the machine in a couple old blankets and strapped it to an appliance dolly also rented from U-haul. Having a friend along helped pushing the machine up the ramp to the u-haul. At the new location the basic procedure is the reverse of above. Make sure you unscrew all the carriage screws before powering on the kiosk. Once in place and powered on I just repeating kept a move "Return" operation and all the movies went back to their slot location assigned in Connections. This step found one movie with a bad rfid tag. The U-haul was $19.99 + mileage. The dolly was $10.00. Hope this helps

Kyle B. said...

Hey Mike,

with my limited experience I wanted to know from more tenured DVDNow owners, what are the slower months for rentals. My grocery store location did great in Jan. but early signs in Feb. show things well be different, about a 5rental avg. per day drop. I just wanted to get other owners feedback. Thanks

Mike at ReadyDVD said...

Hey Kyle,
As always, it depends on what kind of movies are going in. This month the movies weren't very good. I saw a drop, not much, but a small drop in rentals. Also, how much are you charging? If you charge enough, you can make it through slow times. If you aren't, then you depend on more rentals. If you have been there for awhile, it usually takes a little bit for people to start using the machine. I always think it's at least 3 months to get an idea as to where you will be. I am not sure what others think on this, but that's been our experience.

Sincerely,
Mike Weiland
http://readydvd.com

Kyle B. said...

I agree with you on the movies. I have my pricing structure as 99 cents on the first day and then 1.49 on everyday thereafter. I would feel better charging more however being in the south everything is just relatively cheaper here. I spoke with my location owner and told me the months of Jan. and Feb. are the worst months of the year for grociers in the area, however I believe this tidbit of info along with a brand new grocery store with kind of a new flare/modern grocery with all the new trimmings has really hit him and reduced the floor traffic in his store. This grocery store opened up three weeks ago and I am hoping that soon the new glamour will wear off and things will get back to normal.

Robb said...

I agree with Tom and rented the 17' Uhaul truck with ramp and the appliance dolly. Pretty simple with the help of a friend.

Robb

Curtis said...

Tom has given a very good description on how to do it. I have an enclosed trailer and have had to move 3 of mine. Make sure you have the kiosk strapped down solid, and drive carefully I can't stress this enough.

I I didn't take my movies out. I used packing tape,1 strip down the back and 2 strips on on each side up the front of the slots. , worked great. Good Luck.

My rentals sagged some in Feb too.